Stereograph view of the Inman House (President’s House) as it appeared before 1889 when owned by D.M. Inman. Originally built in 1873 by Finlay McKercher, the house was purchased by D.M. Inman in 1875 and moved to its present location on Main in 1882 from the bluff southwest of Forest Street.
Donated to the State of South Dakota by heirs of Inman in 1941, the Inman House has been consistently used as the President’s House except for the years 1969-1982 when it was the primary residence for the Alumni Association, with second floor offices being utilized by the Institute of Public Affairs, Regional Civil Defense, and the South Dakota Office of Historical Preservation.
–Information gathered from the collection: Buildings, Other Structures, and Utilities, University Archives. Photograph: USD Photograph Collection, Series 4