In 1919, University High school was established on the University Campus as a laboratory for University students preparing to teach. The school’s secondary purposes were providing a high school for young people from communities that lacked a four-year high school and assisting entering university students fulfill high school deficiencies ‘while carrying forward their college work. Meeting in Science Hall every morning, approximately fifty pupils attended annually. The girls outnumbered the boys by about three to two. The program of studies at University High School included training in languages, mathematics, social science, natrual science, vocational studies, music, and physical education. Students at University High School also had the opportunity to get involved in extracirricular actives; pupils published a school newspaper, participated in speech and drama contests, and organized a football team called “the Pups.”
University High School closed in 1946. Enrollment had dropped to thirty-four and practice for aspiring teachers could be shifted to Vermillion public schools. USD made contracts with the Vermillion Board of Education for student teaching with Dr. Mark Dezell serving as supervisor. Because University payment for the use of facilities and critic teachers equaled the former cost of the University’s school, no money was saved.
–Information gathered from the Collection:The University of South Dakota by Cedric Cummins, University Archives. Images: USD University High School Bulletin, Series XLV, April 15, 1945, No. 6.