Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘USD Archives’ Category

Capture

The Volante, the student newspaper at the University of South Dakota, was started in November of 1887 and continues to this day.  USD historian Cedric Cummins wrote that “The strange title had been derived from a French word signifying ‘flying’. ” (The University of South Dakota, 1862-1966, p.36)

The Archives and Special Collections has the Volantes in paper, but we seem to be missing the entire 1988-1989 school year. Please contact us if you have Volantes from that year that you would like to donate.

The first fourteen years of the Volante can be seen online on the South Dakota Digital Library. The main collection of the library has most (if not all) of the Volantes on microfilm.

Advertisements

Read Full Post »

Farber Hall

View of what is now Farber Hall in Old Main. Photograph from 1895-1896 University of South Dakota Catalog.

farber-hall004

Read Full Post »

East Hall was built 130 years ago in 1877. It was the third building constructed on our campus.

 

commencement-001-cropped

 

This image and description of the East Hall appeared on the cover of the 1981 commencement program. During the 1980s and 1990s, USD commencement programs often highlighted USD buildings. The Archives and Specials has an almost complete set of commencement programs from 1889 to 2016.

Read Full Post »

On April 26, 1963, The University of South Dakota became the official name of our university here in Vermillion. It was called the State University of South Dakota in some documents and the University of South Dakota in others. The State Board of Regents of Education designated the later.

 

USD logo, 1960s

From “University of South Dakota Designated Official Name.” The University of South Dakota Bulletin. Series LXIII, Bulletin no. 11, Alumni No. 5, May 1, 1963.

Alumni publications are one of my favorite sources of USD history. The title does change over time (Alumni Quarterly, South Dakota Alumnus, University of South Dakota Bulletin, Dakotan, and South Dakotan, for example), but they are kept in the archives as one collection.

 

Read Full Post »

1890-usd-faculty

 

Several University of South Dakota faculty from the 1890-1891 school year pose for their portraits.

 

Pictured left to right:

J. A. Ness, B.A., professor of the Greek language and literature

H. Schmidt-Wartenberg, M. A., Ph. D., professor of the modern languages

George S. Thomas, M. A., Ph. D., professor of Latin language and literature

Gerhardt C. Mars, M. A., professor of the English language and literature

Lorrain S. Hulburt, M. A., professor of mathematics and astronomy

Mary E. Allen, B. A., associate professor of Greek language and literature

Fred W. Speirs, B. S., acting professor of history and political economy

Garry E. Culver, M. A., professor of geology and mineralogy

Henry E. Kratz, Ph. M., Ph. D., professor of the science and art of teaching, and principal of the normal department

— USD Photograph Collection, “Catalogue of the University of South Dakota for the year 1890-91,” University of South Dakota.

Read Full Post »

science-hall-demolition-1960-1961

 

Science Hall under demolition (1960-1961) with a replica of the first log schoolhouse built in Dakota Territory in 1864 by the Dakota Calvary, Company A, under the direction of Captain Nelson Miner, on the left.

— USD Photograph Collection

 

Read Full Post »

old-main-trees

Read Full Post »

Older Posts »

%d bloggers like this: