Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Archive for the ‘Carl Bernard Gilbertson’ Category

Photographs from the recently donated Carl Bernard Gilbertson Collection feature images from Law Sneak Day 1914 and descriptions from the May 12, 1914 Volante tell their story.

Parade

Law Sneak Day parade

Law Sneak Day parade

"The piece de resistance of the whole "shooterbang," however, was Dean "Mac's" Jersey cow, decked in gorgeous ribbons, led by "Honest Abe" Seeley. Directly behind, McCay, clad in Miss Findall's kimono, dragged Marshall Davis' little hand cart, loaded with B. S."

“The piece de resistance of the whole “shooterbang,” however, was Dean “Mac’s” Jersey cow, decked in gorgeous ribbons, led by “Honest Abe” Seeley. Directly behind, McCay, clad in Miss Findall’s kimono, dragged Marshall Davis’ little hand cart, loaded with B. S.”

Program

D006296

D006297

D006298

Picnic

"The feed prepared by "Big" and "Doc" had any previous occasion skinned a mile. Half a hog was needed to feed the multitude, Grigsby divided it with the carving knife. "Doc" Cooley, sporting a "weenie" behind his ear, buttered the buns, while the immortal "Puggs," placing the grains in a cast off sock, made coffee superior to the ambrosia of Mt. Olympus. All ate to "sufficiency."

“The feed prepared by “Big” and “Doc” had any previous occasion skinned a mile. Half a hog was needed to feed the multitude, Grigsby divided it with the carving knife. “Doc” Cooley, sporting a “weenie” behind his ear, buttered the buns, while the immortal “Puggs,” placing the grains in a cast off sock, made coffee superior to the ambrosia of Mt. Olympus. All ate to “sufficiency.”

 

Volante 110 Volante 211

Read Full Post »

D006216_1 D006221_1

These two photographs are from the Carl Bernard Gilbertson Collection. The first photograph features an unidentified man standing in front of the first permanent schoolhouse monument at the base of Dakota Street. (For a view of the first school house in its original location here.) In the second photograph, a float is shown in a Law Sneak Day parade circa 1914.

The first permanent schoolhouse in Dakota Territory was erected in 1864 by Dakota Cavalry Company A under the direction of Captain Nelson Miner. The first teacher at the school was Amos F. Shaw.

For more information on the dedication ceremonies recently held: http://www.cchssd.org/events.

Read Full Post »

%d bloggers like this: