Report on Standing Rock

Archives and Special Collections recently received a 1938 report about the Standing Rock Reservation written by E.D. Mossman for a visiting congressional committee . Shown below is one of the pages from this report.



It’s always so nice to have classes visit the Archives!

Farber Hall

View of what is now Farber Hall in Old Main. Photograph from 1895-1896 University of South Dakota Catalog.



This month we say goodbye to our archivist as she moves on to the next stage of her career. She taught us many things, including how much fun cookbooks are and how these books have historical research value.


Cookbooks are a valuable historical source because “the study of culinary history isn’t about food – it’s about the people who prepare and consume this food.” (Sarah Lohman. Eight flavors: the untold story of American cuisine. New York: Simon & Schuster, 2016, p. xvii.


Below is a list of cookbooks (or cookery as the library catalog calls them) found in the Chilson Collection in the Archives and Special Collections. The books are listed from newest to oldest.


South Dakota’s governors residence cookbook: a culinary legacy celebrating the first families of South Dakota. Kearney, NE: Morris Press Cookbooks, 2007.


Gueldner, R. M. H. German food & folkways: heirloom memories from Europe, South Russia & the Great Plains. Fargo, ND: Germans from Russian Heritage Collection, North Dakota State University Libraries, 2002.


Spuka Sni Win. Lakota traditional and contemporary recipes. Pine Ridge, S.D.: Spuka Sni Win, 1999.


Luchetti, Cathy. Home on the range: a culinary history of the American West. New York: Villard Books, 1993.


Young, Kay. Wild seasons: gathering and cooking wild plants of the Great Plains. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1993.


Walker, Barbara M. The Little House cookbook: frontier foods from Laura Ingalls Wilder’s classic stories. New York: Harper & Row, 1979.


Grandma’s cookbook: pioneering recipes of Northeastern South Dakota. Watertown, S. D.: Friends of the Kampeska Heritage Museum, 1976.


The homestead cookbook: for home and family use. Seattle: Superior Pub. Co., 1976.


Kreidberg, Marjorie. Food on the frontier: Minnesota cooking from 1850 to 1900, with selected recipes. St. Paul: Minnesota Historical Society Press, 1975.


Marquiss, Toots. Buffalo cook book. Rapid City, S. D.: Crane Publ. Co., Inc., 1972.


Century Czech recipes of Tabor community: Tabor, South Dakota. Tabor, S.D.: [1972?].


McGovern, Eleanor. The Eleanor McGovern cookbook: a collection of South Dakota family favorites. Mitchell, S.D.: Citizens for McGovern, [ca. 1970].


Beeton, (Isabella Mary). The book of household management. New York: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux, 1969.


Adams, Ramon F. Come an’ get it; the story of the old cowboy cook. Norman: University of Oklahoma Press, [1952].


Another year with Your Neighbor Lady. Sioux City and Yankton: Radio Station WNAX, 1949.


Robinson, Eva Roberta. The timely cookbook. Aberdeen: South Dakota Food Administration, 1918.


Good things to eat and how to prepare them: over two hundred choice recipes. Buffalo, N.Y.: Larkin Co., 1906.


Help one another cook book. Aberdeen: Dakota farmer, [19??].


If you want to do research using local cookbooks, The Hilton M. Briggs Library at South Dakota State University is currently collecting cookbooks created by South Dakota schools, churches, hospitals, families, and other organizations. They are displaying them online as the South Dakota Community Cookbook Collection on the SDSU site Open Prairie.



Archives and Special Collections is pleased to announce that a small selection of material from the Larry Pressler Papers has been digitized and is now available in the Digital Library of South Dakota. These documents have been selected to coincide with the recent publication of Senator Pressler’s book, Neighbours in Arms: An American Senator’s Quest for Disarmament in a Nuclear Subcontinent, for which Senator Pressler used numerous materials from his papers located in the Archives and Special Collections. These selected materials relate to Pakistan, nuclear nonproliferation, and the Pressler Amendment. Neighbours in Arms: An American Senator’s Quest for Disarmament in a Nuclear Subcontinent was published in July, 2017.

Senator Larry Pressler, born March 29, 1942 in Humboldt, South Dakota, graduated from the University of South Dakota in 1964. He later attended Oxford University (as a Rhodes Scholar), Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government, and Harvard Law School.  He served in the US House of Representatives from 1975-1979 and the US Senate from 1979-1997, becoming the first Vietnam veteran elected to the Senate. The Larry Pressler Papers are a closed collection housed within the Archives and Special Collections at the University of South Dakota that maintain a comprehensive account of the Senator’s life and work in service to the state of South Dakota.

The photographs featured below, as well as several others, can be found in the University of South Dakota Photograph Collection, Series 3.


One hundred years ago, South Dakota elected its first native-born governor; this governor, Peter Norbeck, proved to be one of the most progressive governors in South Dakota history. Norbeck was born in Vermillion, Clay County, on August 27, 1870. Though he did not receive an official degree, Norbeck attended the University of South Dakota in Vermillion for several terms and briefly taught school before marrying Lydia Anderson in 1900. Shortly thereafter, the couple moved to Redfield, South Dakota, in 1901, where Peter and partner Charles Nicholson formed the company of Norbeck & Nicholson, which revolutionized artesian well drilling. He entered politics in 1908, serving in the state Senate until 1915; as lieutenant governor from 1915 to 1916; as the first native South Dakotan governor from 1917 to 1921; and as United States Senator from 1921 until his death from a heart attack on December 20, 1936, in Redfield.

During his tenure as a politician, Norbeck assisted in the endorsement of many state-owned agencies, including a cement plant that officially opened in 1923 from legislation passed in 1919 and remained opened until its sale in 2001; the 1918 enfranchisement of South Dakota women; the passage of legislation in his second gubernatorial term creating the Custer State Park in the Black Hills; the development of the Mount Rushmore National Memorial; and implemented an extensive road construction program throughout South Dakota.

The Norbeck Papers, located at the USD Archives, consist chiefly of correspondence, manuscript, and print materials relating to Norbeck’s political service as governor of South Dakota and as United States Senator, though the boxes are very loosely organized. The materials span the years 1896-1936, concentrating heavily on Norbeck’s tenure as U.S. Senator from 1921 to his death in 1936. Overall, the collection can be broken into three general categories: political correspondence, financial materials, and personal materials, including correspondence with members of Norbeck’s family, trips, and copies of speeches. Additional materials include a box of books, a box of photographs, an individually wrapped scrapbook, and 3 oversize maps.

The South Dakota Oral History Center, located on second floor of I. D. Weeks Library, has several oral histories that recall Peter Norbeck. Many of the interviews include a discussion of what South Dakota was like in the early 1900s and include topics such as Governor Norbeck, the flu epidemic of 1918, the Nonpartisan League, Prohibition, and the Norbeck-Nicholson firm in Redfield, South Dakota.

For more information, visit the Archives and Special Collections to look at the Peter Norbeck papers (MS 116) today – including the attached photographs of the first native-born South Dakota governor.


East Hall was built 130 years ago in 1877. It was the third building constructed on our campus.




This image and description of the East Hall appeared on the cover of the 1981 commencement program. During the 1980s and 1990s, USD commencement programs often highlighted USD buildings. The Archives and Specials has an almost complete set of commencement programs from 1889 to 2016.

%d bloggers like this: