Since 1925, Aalfs Auditorium, formerly known as Slagle Auditorium, has been a performance space and gathering place for students, staff, and community members. The auditorium has hosted a myriad of different events including musical performances, mock political conventions, commencement ceremonies, and lectures from visiting scholars. In addition, prior to the construction of the Colton Recital Hall in the 1970’s, Aalfs Auditorium was home to the productions of the USD Theater Department. In 2008, USD began an 8.2 million dollar renovation of the facility. The auditorium reopened October 7, 2011 with improved acoustics, updated performance lighting, additional seating and restroom facilities and its new name. In addition, the auditorium also underwent aesthetic changes to preserve historical aspects of the venue. The Skinner 29-stop organ, a fixture of the auditorium since 1925, was also restored during the renovation. See below for photographs from the history of Aalfs Auditorium.
–Information from Cummins, Cedric. The University of South Dakota, 1862-1966. Vermillion, S.D.: Dakota Press, 1975, Photographs: The USD Photograph Collection